Day 2 started with a recap by Marius Ewassadja Adaha – the francophone community learning coordinator on day one highlighting the key points just to refresh the participants and gear up for today. Poly Gaster then presented the small working group discussion which took had taken time after dinner to discuss governance structure of the network. Sulah Nadula, Kiringai Kamau, Aminata Maiga, Poly Gaster, and Malick Sawadogo were deliberated and gave a proposal on the structure.
A steering committee was formed with Aminata, Polly, Sulah, Kiringai, Dean, Malik, Paul, Marius, Hopestone Chavula as members. Malick Sawadogo of RYCOM was elected the Interim Coordinator of the network and Paul Barera of Rwanda Telecentre Network as the Chair.
Net Africa priorities for 2011 – 2012 were also outlined as follows:
• Establish a Secretariat and Communication system/internal coordinating system for Steering Committee and Secretariat and with external stakeholders (mailing lists, website); including defining the Terms Of Refrence for the Steering Committee, Interim Coordinator, and CLCs
• Development of a Business Plan, including branding and resource mobilization
• Development of a Five Year Strategic Plan including clarifying on the vision, mission, and action plan
• Conduct a survey of all existing networks, development partners, constellations and identify current status including needs assessment
• Integrate existing networks, development partners like Telecentre.org Foundation, UNECA, CTA & constellations
• Promotion/marketing of NetAfrica, regional/national networks, telecentres, networks, Project development and resource mobilization
Participants had an opportunity to visit Kicukiro Telecentre, which is one of the Rwanda Development Board projects to establish telecentres in Rwanda. So far 30 have been supported and are operating in various districts.
In conclusion a work plan was drawn and a vision and mission put in place, in essence NetAfrica is good to go. Tomorrow the 15th is a special day reserved for partners where the team will present and also have an opportunity to hear from the partners on their plans and priorities for Africa. The following partners will bepresent